Thursday, June 4, 2009

Pregnancy vs. The Elderly


I was on the subway the other day and it was super crowded, so much so, that a pregnant woman was standing up. At the next stop, a few people got off and a seat opened up. As a man, who was standing tried to get the pregnant woman's attention so she could sit down, an elderly man eased into the seat. He saw the pregnant woman, but didn't get up. Eyebrows raised.

So, it made me wonder does being a senior citizen trump being pregnant when there's one seat left on the subway?

I guess the old man thought so. 

He may have been thinking, "She may be pregnant, but she's young and pregnant. I'm old." His back may have been sore and his feet may have been swollen.

I'm totally guessing here, but the woman looked like she may have been six to seven months pregnant. I wonder if she thought the old man was being insensitive. She may have been on her feet all day. She baby may have been sitting in an awkward position and sitting may have helped, but she didn't say anything. 

Should she have had to, though?

What do you think?

By the way, I was standing on the subway, but would have immediately offered her my seat if I had one to give. 

No comments: